Christian Group Directs “Spiritual Warfare” Against Pagan Goddess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Columbia is the patrton Goddess of the United States?

Shoot - it makes sense, but I'd never thought of it that way before.

Goody - a new Goddess for my personal pantheon. I bet I can find a nice statue, too. I'm thinking that pine or ceder incense woud be appropriate...
    Columbia statue, made from marble from the Capitol building

Since I'm not terribly stuck on the idea of deities being literal, I'm down with it...

Thalassa, what is the "Hail Columbia" project?
    Well...I'm not entirely sure it knows yet...they just started Its a pretty new idea, sort of conceived as a response to the DC40 thing and The Response (the Rick Perry prayer rally), sort of on the basis of 1) Hey, Pagans are American too! and 2) The First Amendment rocks! I decided to gt involved as a way to sort of shape that idea...I pretty much agree with this perspective on the matter.

the following is the opening paragraph to their "what we are about" on their website: Our mission is to distribute information and coordinate events throughout the United States to help re-affirm the idea set forth in our founding document: that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” These words, the first sixteen words of the First Amendment to the Constitution, help to create the diverse society that gives rise to new ideas, accepts new cultures, and remains flexible in the face of an increasingly complicated world.

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    There is an us vs them vibe there but the 'them' in this case wants to accomplish a number of things that I take issue with so I'm not really opposed to it. I just don't consider it vital at the moment. DC40 will fail, the only question is much entertainment they'll provide in the meantime. Now whether the Pagans in that article also extend their issues to Christianity as a whole I don't know. Taking an adversarial position beyond a specific person/group/etc that is actively causing trouble is not an idea I'm overly fond of.
    The blogosphere response seems to be directly opposed to letting this group speak without challenge and to reminding the public that freedom of religion means all religions.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    . People tend to just seem to be a lot more public about it.

So stuff like this just seems kind of laughable that it's even an issue. Like, I'd be all up in arms about it if they were part of a political party and actually were trying to pass some sort of law to combat Paganism, but this is more a group of crazies. And I'm not bothered by crazies much unless they're yelling at me in the street or trying to get me to take a 'stress test' or something, or they're a group of crazies abusing their members or others.
    ...well, you see...our religious crazies have a way of getting elected...

"The military should rethink their position. That's not a religion." ( G.W. Bush, governor of Texas, referring to the Wiccan religion and the DoD's recognition of it.)
    ""President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq ." And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'" (G. W. Bush, as president)
    (I could keep going, but I'm getting ready to make dinner)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        It's hard for me to judge stuff like that from here, because people over here tend to keep to themselves regarding religion in general a lot more (at least in my city and the North in general), and the US is so far away that I really only have an idea from what I read. Even having grown up in Canada, the attitude toward religion south of the border kind of confuses me sometimes (even for groups that aren't Christian). People tend to just seem to be a lot more public about it.
        Many people tend to forget that we were founded by people who were too religious for Europe... and we haven't quite grown out of it.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

She was a common theme in patriotic art up through WWI.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Comment

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Columbia statue, made from marble from the Capitol building

Since I'm not terribly stuck on the idea of deities being literal, I'm down with it...

Well...I'm not entirely sure it knows yet...they just started Its a pretty new idea, sort of conceived as a response to the DC40 thing and The Response (the Rick Perry prayer rally), sort of on the basis of 1) Hey, Pagans are American too! and 2) The First Amendment rocks! I decided to gt involved as a way to sort of shape that idea...I pretty much agree with this perspective on the matter.
                  Thanks! That's quite a statue... I love the head gear... Imma gonna start saving my pennies.

And thanks for the info - I'm going to look into this. I'm not normally much of a joiner, but this is something that I like, what with me being a patriotic redneck pagan and all.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                    Wow...what a batch of illiterate yahoos.
                    ...unfortunately (if you start digging), some of their other goals include making it illegal for non-Christians to hold office, eliminating the "separation between church and state", establishing this country back to the values of its Christian founding fathers, etc...

You know, that way fun sort of theocratic "only our rights count for anything" crap.

...and sadly, there have always been enough people to buy into that to make enjoying our first amendment rights difficult for the rest of us
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                      Wow...what a batch of illiterate yahoos.

DoC was named after Christopher Columbus. The Columbia statue is a personification of America...a common feature of Classicism and normal for the era in which it was made. She was a common theme in patriotic art up through WWI.
                      There are also similar themes in different countries at similar time points. Like around the neo-classical time period that took place around the French revolution you have the personification of Liberty and there's that famous painting of Liberty leading the french revolutionaries (the Americans aren't the only ones who loved the idea of "Lady Liberty"!)
                      It's so natural to personify concepts in art. Even in protestant art, where there was a conscious effort not to, religious concepts were still personified. Hell even in COMMUNIST statues and art (and the communists were atheists) you had an almost dei-ification of the "worker". You see that a lot here in Soviet monuments.

Comment

We are well aware of the websites and blogs rallying to try and curse our effort and counter it. Always remember, You can't curse what God has blessed! Read Psalm 2. Remember also that Jesus is the light of every man. We have read some of your accusations and false perceptions of us, and we say "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." We were once in darkness too, and we call you out of the darkness and into the light
                        . We release the power of blood-covered light over you.

Here is our prayer for you:

"Father, through the faith of Your Son and through the power of His Blood, we come on behalf of those who would curse us. Because of their actions toward us, we have legal spiritual access and we take it!

We release perfect Blood-covered love into the core of your being!
                        May eternal light flood your hearts this day with the revelation of who you really are, and, more importantly, who God really is! We also pray that this revelation will dismantle and refute all arguments, theories, reasonings, and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God. Your ladder has been placed on the wrong wall. We call you to your right mind through the finished work of the cross.

You see, there is no DC40 Prayer War. It is finished, you just haven't come to the truth of it yet. However, if you are reading this, it is too late - we release the arrow of blood-covered truth and convicting power of Holy Spirit into the core of your being, and release grace for you to SEE in Jesus' Mighty Name!"

We don't hate you, we love you - you were created by the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob for greatness. "

...le sigh.

I need to take shower, they covered me with so much blood...

...not that I can see that it has done any good.

I didn't feel this "dirty" when I had an accidental needle stick from a known drug user and had to had to go thru the whole accidental needle stick hospital protocol.
                        sigpic

Comment

my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                            "Blood-covered love"? That doesn't even make sense! Must be Emotional Abuse Awareness Month for me, because this is sounds a lot like the "I hurt you because I love you" tripe *shakes head*
                            The one that got me was "blood-covered light"

...so...

Red lights?

...like....

the Red Light District?

Are they sending me hookers as a bribe, or the spirit of Mary Magdalene to scare the pagan out?
                            sigpic

Comment

my etsy store
                              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                              surrounded by plush, downy things,
                              ill prepared, but willing,
                              to descend."

Comment

Comment

Working...